22 February 2008

For Curtis: U2, the Joshua Tree Tour

Yep, I really did meet him, and the Edge in Belfast in '89*. I don't remember meeting the rest of the band, but apparently I did. I was in awe of Bono. Floored.

The Edge told me, "You're lovely." Bono said, "I think you embarrassed her... But, you are lovely, sweetheart." I coulda died!

We sat with them at breakfast and talked about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and what it means to be a Christian. He was extremely interested in what Jesus would think about our world today, what He would say to this generation. Very cool.

Later, I rode up the elevator with him and John Wimber and introduced them. He said, "Oh, John Wimber, Power Healing, Power Evangelism, I've heard of you." John, ever the dry humorist replied, "I've heard of U2." Haha.

We found out later that Bono had left us tickets for their concert in Dublin... The Joshua Tree tour. And, even gave us a shout out pointing to the huge American flag we were waving, "To my brothers and sisters from America!" Unbelievable.


Bono & me (Like the 80's do?) in Belfast, Ireland

Bono, to the lovely Laurie

*Correction: I meant 1987. We saw them at Croke Park, Dublin in June 1987. Dang, I'm old!

10 comments:

Tish said...

That is so AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that little insight! I'll have to show my husband as he is a fan. Of U2. But I'm sure he will be a fan of YOU, TOO after he reads your blog!

Nicholas said...

Oh my goodness - what an amazingly fun story! You're way too cool! ;)

Journey Students Leaders said...

Very nice picture. Not only do I have mad hunting skills, but I have also been a U2 fan since 1980. The concerts in Dublin at Point Depot (Theater) were actually part of the "Lovetown Tour" after the Joshua Tree Tour. They performed 4 shows there: Dec.26,27,30,31, 1989. That's my U2 trivia for the day.

-big red

Journey Students Leaders said...

Very nice picture. Not only do I have mad hunting skills, but I have also been a U2 fan since 1980. The concerts in Dublin at Point Depot (Theater) were actually part of the "Lovetown Tour" after the Joshua Tree Tour. They performed 4 shows there: Dec.26,27,30,31, 1989. That's my U2 trivia for the day.

-big red

FHL said...

Very fun!

~never old, just a day wiser and a skip ahead~ :-)

emily said...

You have been holding out on us Laurie! That is really good stuff. I love the whole thing, from the hair to the elevator ride. Thank you for sharing:)

Off to pack some more, we head out in the am!!

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

That's pretty crazy. The meeting I mean, not the picture;) Cool story. Love U2.

Rebecca Lily said...

WOW!! That is too cool... Bono is awesome!!

Did you see... we found our boy!!! :)

Hugs, Rebecca

Deanna said...

Wow! That is so awesome! I am a huge fan of Bono. He is the epitome of what we should be doing as Christians.

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell ya that I once lived on the same planet as Elvis?

(Somehow your brush with Rock Greatness is a little more convincing.)