08 November 2008

Advent

This is fantastic! We're guilty of having ridiculously huge Christmases in the past (i.e. gifts galore), I must acknowledge. But, both Michael and I have realized over the last decade or so how much more we just want to be with our beloved family, celebrate the birth of Christ the King together, and skip the gifts. We don't need anything. We have everything.

Last night we were talking about how Americans have had to pare back their spending in the current economic crisis. Here that means possibly not going out to eat. But, America's financial woes affect Africa, too. Here we don't go out, but in Ethiopia they may not EAT! Wow, the thought of how gluttonous and consumeristic we are, I am, America is, considering the great need around the world and even around the block just hit me in the face.

A Wii costs over $300 (and yes, we do have one). That's about the same cost as a fistula surgery that could change the life of a woman living in poverty. It costs around $420 to provide for sponsored child's basic needs through World Vision for a year. That's two lattes a week at Starbucks.

WOW.


10 comments:

Nicholas said...

I know, I know.... I saw this on Joy's blog and I've been waiting to put it on our blog because I know I'll scare people away by talking CHRISTmas already ;).

It's fantastic!!

darci said...

oh lauri, i love this! how can i post it on my blog? i want our family to join the conspiracy..we have so so much. thanks for sharing. darci

Laurzie said...

Darc, just click on the youtube icon on the bottom right and the link will come up. From there you can link or embed it to your blog. xo

The Redman's said...

I love this! This is our heart. We're are going back to basics this Christmas. A little cabin in the snow with the family. Simple. Basic. Full of love. I'm planning on sharing this video with our small group. Thanks!!!

I Love Purple More Than You said...

What a great video! It really puts it all into perspective!!!

Laurzie said...

Haha, Lor, just got your joke! I am NOT a Grinch! :P

ErinOrtlund said...

Awesome! I want to do that as much as possible this year--start setting a precedent for it. Maybe my kids will think of giving more than receiving when the Christmas season rolls around each year!

Rebecca said...

This video is one of the best I've seen! I think if people take the time to think about what their money could do, it would REALLY make a difference. How much do I need that new pair of boots? Not at all. Not when there are people starving.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the video. i love the challenge. i am convicted.

Mother Letter said...

LOVE IT!

I am creating (instead of buying) Christmas this year for my wife. Less because of the economy and more because of an experience I had last year. Maybe you and some of your folks in Cali would be interested in helping with the process and dropping a few ideas of your own? I would love the help. I just started the project.

www.motherletter.blogspot.com