23 April 2009

Convert All Your Sounds of Woe Into "Hey, Nonny Nonny!"

Happy 445th birthday to The Bard!




Here's what our card to Will says,

"Master William Shakespeare,

Happy birthday to thee. 'Tis past time for us to make merry in full measure, cuz. Dost thou wish to be feted? Be not unsatisfied with thy silver-threaded beard and moth-eaten cloak and partieth anon. Hither comest all thine admirers, cohorts, and toady vassals.

How now? 'Tis an affliction to acknowledge the harsh light of truth... Alas, ye shan't stir in thy fetid catacomb. Thy pen is dry. Thy sweet words are no more as a comet that has blazed the night sky with glorious wonder but now is cold and dark forevermore. Oh, hearts! Prithee, rejoice again!

Master Will, ye shall be jubilated in taverns with our countrymen tonight! We toast happy birthday to ye!"


Being avid Bardoloters, we visited Stratford-Upon-Avon, Shakespeare's hometown, in '04. Here are some of our favorite Stratford sites.


Me and kids (how cute are they?!?) at the Shakespeare home


The Swan Theatre


The River Avon


Michael & boys at the Royal Shakespeare

1 comment:

CoztheGrov said...

I love both the videos! One of my favorite places in London is the new Globe Theater. The Comedy of Errors in the park was my favorite of the 18 or so shaekspeare plays we saw during the UK portion of Westmont Europe Semester '96! oh and The Two Gentlemen of Verona is a good one too!

Oh then his Sonnets.... I remember #29 when I was away from Kendra my senior year....

"When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur’d like him, like him with friends possess’d,
Desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,—and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings."

Ah the Bard!