22 July 2008

Granddaddy Ortlund


Today is the one year anniversary of my granddaddy, Ray Ortlund, Sr.'s passing into Glory. My cousin, Mindy sent all of us Ortlunds this photo and message:


Sweet Ortlunds,

Today marks one year since Grandpa went to be with his Jesus. I found this photo in the archives: Grandpa next to the empty garden tomb in Jerusalem, 1992. "Jesus is alive today." So is our brother Ray, more alive than ever he has been, no longer subject to death!

I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him
with my own eyes -- I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!
--Job 19

But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus.
--2 Timothy 3:14-15, NLT

Grandpa would say to all of us: "Go hard after God. Go with God.
He goes with you!"

4 comments:

ErinOrtlund said...

Great post! Wonderful photo!

Hey, could you email me Mindy's email address? ek ortlund at juno dot com?

THANKS!

Rebecca Lily said...

I love this!

That verse in Job is AWESOME. I love when it says, "In my flesh I will see God, with my own eyes - I, and not another!!" It's almost like he can't get over how amazing it is!!!

Rebecca

Tish said...

awesome in every way! i was just telling my mom that i yearn for more...for more of "going hard" after God! may tomorrow find us more deeply in love with our Savior!

Kristi J said...

Great Post!! I've only lost one grandparent...but she was a favorite!! My great grandfather was a very popular Pastor across the country...he and all his family lived in California. Ross Minkler was his name...we googled his name recently and found all kinds of people that are alive and still remember him. Kind of neat!! He had a radio show or something like that....Thanks for sharing his pic...I love Grandparents!!! Kristi J